Sunday, January 1, 2017

A New Year...at the HOSPITAL!

I have the worst case of "mommy guilt" EVER! And I HATE, HATE, HATE Autism!!! 

About 3-4 weeks ago Harper-Lynn had an infection.  She had sinus drainage, a little facial swelling, but NEVER ONCE COMPLAINED. Apparently she was probably in a lot of pain, but with her Autism she rarely acknowledges pain.  

Fast forward about 4 days and her infection seemed to clear up on its own.  I was so thrilled! Since she had her two sinus surgeries over the summer she's had very few infections which have meant very few antibiotics.  This was wonderful.  

About 2-3 weeks ago Harper-Lynn started scrunching up the right side of her face to talk.  She was also still chewing her fingers and I knew she was about to start medicine for her anxiety so I didn't think much of it.  

Over school break the scrunching up her right side has gotten worse.  I've been treating it as another thing from her Autism and constantly trying to correct what I assumed was a behavioral thing she could control. I couldn't be more wrong!

Last night Harper-Lynn wanted to spend the night with my sister.  When I picked her up this morning my sister was insistent that there was something wrong with H's face and I needed to get it checked out. 

I'm not sure why I felt so pushed to do something after her comments, but I am soooooo thankful I did! I called Harper-Lynn's neurologist once we got home.  Their office is closed until Tuesday, but the person I spoke with said to get her to the hospital as soon as possible.  Well that's enough to scare a mom!

We packed up and off to Scottish Rite we went.  I checked us in and they immediately took us back to a room before we could even go to Triage. I tried hard not to look at the faces of the parents sitting in the waiting room hoping their child would be the next to go back.  It was filled to capacity! 

Of course, the staff at SR is amazing! They were so wonderful with Harper-Lynn, and me when I had a little breakdown.  Turns out Harper-Lynn has Bell's Palsy.  She has paralysis on the left side of her face which is why the right side was scrunching up so much. Unfortunately, there is nothing they can do to help her since she missed that window of treatment back 3-4 weeks when she had that sinus infection. I feel HORRIBLE! 

I take her to the doctor for everything and the ONE TIME I try to not go the course of antibiotics it turns out to be something very serious.  We're home from the hospital and will follow up with H's neurologist within the week.  

Once we see her neurologist I'll update.  Until then, please pray for her. The doctor said it can take up to 6 months to recover and in some cases it can be permanent.   I still can't believe this has happened. My poor little girl already has been through so much and now this! 

*Thank you to everyone who has called, messaged, Facebooked and/or wanted to come to the hospital to be with us. I appreciate all of your love and support!