Tuesday, August 23, 2016

The Past Few Weeks

The past few weeks have seem to go by in a blur.  Harper-Lynn was super excited for her first day of school back on the 8th. Now she still likes school, but doesn't like going ALL DAY as she says. ha! I have tried to explain that it will be this way for many years to come.  : (

So many people see Harper-Lynn and constantly tell me, "She doesn't look Autistic." Sometimes I just want to walk away, but I always take the time and try to explain to them how it manifests in her. One of the things I loved about Harper-Lynn being at our church for preschool the past three years is everyone knowing her and loving her.  This transition to a new school meant Harper-Lynn and myself wouldn't be in an environment we knew. Sadly, two little girls noticed Harper-Lynn's differences the first week of school.  On that first Friday she got in the car and cried all the way home.  It felt like my heart was being ripped out.  I guess one girl said mean things about H constantly dancing and talking loudly and then another girl joined in.  To date, the girl who joined in apologized to Harper-Lynn, the other girl hasn't. H pretty much keeps her distance from her.

This has been an opportunity for me to show Harper-Lynn how to pray for our "enemies".  The first night I suggested we do that she was very hesitant, but by the 3rd night she began praying for this girl. I've tried to explain that those around us need to see Jesus in us.  That means being kind to others...even those who aren't kind to us.  It may be a lot for a 4 year old to comprehend, but it's a start.

One of the hardest parts for me about Harper-Lynn starting a new school was transitioning to a actual free time.  I didn't realize it would be so difficult.  I have found myself relaxing a lot more than I ever dreamed I would.  The past 5 years have been intense to say the least.  I think I needed this little break.

I've been walking in the mornings when I haven't had appointments.  I haven't lost much weight, but it's a start.  My darn hip has been hurting a lot.  I'm sure I've aggravated it by exercising.  I haven't set weight-loss goals.  Right now I'm just trying to be healthier and see where it leads.

I'm having surgery on Friday to remove my wisdom teeth.  I'm a little nervous, but so grateful that it all worked out for this to FINALLY happen.  I have needed them out for over a decade.  

Next month we've got lots of fun things to look forward.  I'm doing several photography shoots and pictures at H's former school, we're going to Stone Mountain one weekend with H's dad then another weekend with H's former speech therapist and her family. On Labor Day, Harper-Lynn is going for lunch at the American Girl doll store.  She has no idea.   I can't wait to see the look on her face.  My Single Moms group from church and I are taking our kiddos to the Children's Museum next month, too. That place is awesome.  It's the same weekend as Comicon so I'm sure we're definitely going to see some interesting "characters" around there. ha!

I'll leave you guys with photos from some recent sessions...


BH