Monday, August 8, 2016

First Day of Pre-K

I've often thought about what it would be like when Harper-Lynn was in school all day.  Today that thought became reality. And yes...there were tears...from me! ha! 

Harper-Lynn got up and was super excited.  I let her drink some milk (she eats breakfast at school) while she watched an episode of her favorite cartoon, Shimmer and Shine. After it was over it was time to do hair, teeth and get dressed.  We started back our "chore" list so she knew if she transitioned easy this morning she was going to get it checked off.  She did just that! I couldn't have asked for a smoother time getting her ready.  

About 7ish her dad called to wish her luck on her first day.  Towards to end of the call she said her tummy wasn't feeling right.  I had that deer-in-the-headlights look for sure! When she hung up with her dad she told me she was a little nervous.  Huge for this sweet girl! I LOVE her being able to convey what she's feeling.  Praise God for the therapies he's allowed Harper-Lynn to partake in.

Miss H saw me grab my camera as we gathered up our things to head out the door.  I could tell from the look on her face she was not wanting to do pictures.  On top of H not wanting to do pictures, it was kind of dark and overcast outside and EXTREMELY HUMID which meant my camera kept fogging up.  Oh well...can't win them all!

Posing with the sign I made around 10pm last night!/H and Matthew playing with some blocks/H's cubbie

Harper-Lynn posed for a few shots and then we took off to school.  The parking lot was packed.  So thankful she didn't want to leave my side! We walked into her class and immediately saw her cousin, Matthew.  He was sitting at the head of the table like he owned the joint. ha! I tried to get pictures of him, but he wanted nothing to do with that.  

I showed Harper-Lynn around her classroom like I did at Open House.  We found her cubbie and hung up her backpack.  The aide in the room (they still don't have a teacher!) motioned H to the table where Matt was.  Matt coordinated it so Harper-Lynn could sit next to him.  I could see her start to get a little apprehensive about things. That's when my AMAZING nephew said, "I'm gonna take care of you Harp (that's his nickname for her).  That's my job!" Oh my, the tears that were forming in the corner of my eyes at that moment! Even now, they are starting up again.  God Bless Matthew! He's going to take care of my Harpie for sure. "Twin Power" is one of FOUR sets of boy/girl cousins in the class.  There is also a set of identical twin girls.  Going to be an interesting year in the Purple Iguanas class. 

Harper-Lynn gave me a kiss and a hug and out the door I SLOWLY went.  I couldn't help but linger around the hall a bit just making sure she did okay.  

I'm so humbled to have Harper-Lynn in Pre-K.  It's like a pat on the back for a job well-done! We made it.  When everything fell apart for her between 18-21 months...we persevered! I know Harper-Lynn is one of the lucky children with ASD. To God be the glory!