Thursday, January 14, 2016

"Closing the Door to the Past"

I mentioned in a previous post about the trial I was set to have this month against my ex-husband (Harper-Lynn's dad).  After 11 months, I'm happy to report he gave me sole physical and legal custody earlier this week. We did not have to go to trial.  Thank God! He will continue to pay child support and have supervised visitation twice a week.  I'm pleased with how things turned out.  I am so thankful to have all of this behind us.  The stress of this battle has been incredible.  There were some days I could barely function. It doesn't help I have Fibromyalgia and Arthritis along with spine and hip issues.  Everything seemed to be worsened by the stress.  

I've learned several things throughout this process..

1. NOTHING is quick in the judicial system...and justice doesn't always prevail.  My friends have shared some horror stories with me the past year.  Very scary stuff!

2. I have GREAT parents! I'm thankful for their support.  My dad said he'd do anything to protect Harper-Lynn.  He meant it!

3. God is more present in my life than ever before! I can look back at moments throughout the past year and I see HIS work everywhere.  God has given me an amazing testimony and a platform to share it.

4. A girl can't get by without her CHURCH FAMILY! There are so many people at my church who have gone to the "war room" for me and Harper-Lynn during this time.  Thank-you will never be enough to say to these people. I'm in awe of their love, encouragement, support and prayers!

5. I have a WONDERFUL group of single mama friends! They have encouraged me in ways I never even knew I would need. They have literally walked this path with me EACH step of the way.  

6. And finally, this process has taught me to be "UNCONTROLLED"! I can't control everything in my life. I can't control what people think of me...what they say about me.  I can only live my life in a way that glorifies God and is a great example for my precious daughter.  MANY rumors swirled around due to the nature of my custody petition.  I have heard some terrible things said about me.  None of them were true, but that doesn't stop folks from believing them. After this week, I DON'T CARE! I stand in truth and that's all that matters!!!