Sunday, November 18, 2012

Dear Harper: 5 Months Old

 
Where has the month gone? Once again you are another month older...and what a month it has been!!! You are SOOOOO mobile! In fact, the other day I was washing your bottles in the kitchen and put you on the floor in the living room to play with your toys.  To my amazement, you were on the other side of the living room in three minutes flat!!! You roll, scoot and do everything but crawl or walk right now.  It's incredible to watch!!!

When we went to your 4 month checkup several weeks back they said it was time to start you on solids.  Daddy and I couldn't believe it.  You were definitely ready though.  You were happy to get something besides rice cereal and oatmeal.  To date you have conquered:

-squash
-carrots
-bananas
-sweet potatoes
-squash + corn
-green beans (by far your favorite!!!)
-mixed vegetables
-apple blueberry
-banana plum

We were fortunate that a co-worker of Daddy gave us a ton of baby food that his child didn't use. We've got enough for another few weeks and then we will go shopping for some new stuff for you to try. 

Yesterday you graduated to size 3 diapers.  I'm estimating you weigh between 15-16 pounds right now.  You don't have another checkup until next month so I don't know for sure.  You are currently wearing a size 6-9 months, but within a few weeks I think it will just be size 9 months. 

You are chattering A LOT!!! Daddy and I crack up everytime we hear you "talking." You also growl..yes, I said, growl A LOT, too! You adore Cookie Monster from the show, Sesame Street, and we finally figured out you are trying to copy him.  He goes crazy when he starts stuffing cookies in his mouth and we've learned that you trying to mimick him is a growl.  It's hilarious!!! Grammie called me one day and she could hear you growling in the background.  She may or may not be getting you a talking Cookie Monster for Christmas! ; - )

For the past three weeks or so you have started screaming every time you get around Grammie.  I wouldn't make note about it, expect for the fact that it's just crazy! You pretty much let anyone hold you with no problems.  Somehow when Grammie just gets near you push out that bottom lip and let the waterworks flow.  Daddy and I are baffled!!! I really hope you get past this soon!!!

In an amazing turn around, Gramps' foot was saved!!! He was in the hospital for three weeks, but is now at home.  He has a nurse and a physical therapist that come to the house.  His doctor said he will end up losing his toe, but he'd rather lose a toe over a foot any day!!! He has a long road to recovery ahead, but he's promised to grow you some green beans in his garden next year.  I'm sure you will be very happy about that!

Just last week Summer's adoption became finalized.  Months back when they asked her who she wanted at her adoption hearing the first person she named was you.  Summer adores you and I'm so thankful she's a part of our family.  If all goes as planned she will be catching and getting off the bus at our house next year when she goes to sixth grade.  She's very excited about it.  I'm sure you will be, too. 

You've been sleeping through the night for almost two months now, but the past two nights you keep waking up screaming from 3am to 6am.  Aunt Kendra thinks you are cutting a tooth and I'm inclined to agree.  When I get to your crib you are fine so I'm guessing you must just be restless and your mouth is hurting you.  Time will tell!
 
I can't wait to see what you learn and do in the next month!!!
 
*Now that you are a mover and a shaker, I couldn't resist sharing this photo of you from earlier today.  This is how I found you.  OMG!