Friday, June 8, 2012

Mexican Casserole


I found this recipe over at Plain Chicken.  While I was kind of not wanting to try yet another Mexican dish, I decided to try this one anyway.  Let me tell you...it doesn't disappoint!!! In fact, it might be my favorite!!!

I tweaked it just a bit, but if you'd like to try to the original recipe just click on the link above. 

1lb. ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
1 can of Rotel Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies, drained
1 can Cheddar cheese soup
1 can Ranch Style Beans
1 envelope of taco seasoning (I used Ortega's reduced sodium)
1/2 cup water
1-10oz. package of tortilla chips, lightly crushed
1 cup shredded Cheddar, cheese

Brown beef with onion in large skillet.  Drain off fat.  Add tomatoes, soup, beans, seasoning and water.  Mix well.  Let come to a boil and then remove from heat.  Grease a 9x13 baking dish.  Sprinkle 1/2 of chips on bottom.  Top with 1/2 beef mixture.  Repeat.  Top with cheese.  Bake at 325 for about 25 minutes covered with foil.  Remove from oven and let sit an additional 5 minutes before serving.