Sunday, June 10, 2012

Dear Harper: A Love Letter to My Daughter


I have dreamed of the day I would become a mother.  After many years of health problems and infertility I gave up on that dream three years ago. 

While I gave up on that dream, God had a greater plan for me.  He knew I would be blessed with you all along.  I pray you won't give up on your dreams the way I did.  Always know God is truly in control.

I get butterflies in my tummy every time I think of holding you.  I've been very emotional the past few days realizing that in one week you will be here.  Every tear I've cried the past decade I would surely cry a million more times just to experience holding you in my arms. 

Every time I walk into your nursery I am filled with so much anticipation.  I can't wait for the endless hours we will spend in there.  I look forward to all the rocking we'll do in the glider Grammie and Gramps bought us, running to your crib when you've awoken at night or peeking in through your door just to watch you sleep with your little tushy in the air. 

There are countless songs I look forward to singing to you.  I adore the "Hymn of Promise" as it was the first hymn I ever learned back in my days in children's choir at Nanny's church in North Carolina.  I hope it will be a favorite for you as well.

I can't wait to shower you with thousands of kisses and be there to make all of your "boo boos" better. 

As you get older, I look forward to seeing what kind of personality you will have.  I wonder if you will be outgoing like me, funny like daddy and loving and sensitive like us both. 

More than anything, my precious baby girl, I want you to always...ALWAYS know that I love you with every part of me.  It is an honor to be chosen to be your mommy and I promise to make you feel that each and every day. 

All my love...all my life,

Mommy