Saturday, April 14, 2012

Home Run for Harper


Yesterday was the Atlanta Braves' home opener for their 2012 season.  It's sort of a tradition for us to go, but I'll be honest...I wasn't sure I was going to make it this year! We bought the tickets about six weeks ago and I knew I would be seven months pregnant the day of the game, but was really hoping that wouldn't keep me from being able to go.  What I didn't anticipate was going to the hospital on Thursday due to labor contractions.  Thankfully, Harper and I are okay and she didn't make an early appearance, but I can recall sitting in the hospital room thinking I wasn't going to be able to make it to the game.  The midwife we saw said she thought it would be okay as long as I drank lots of fluids and listened to my body.

The game was lots of fun! About 10:30 was when I started feeling like I was ready to go home, but I am proud to say I made it several more hours despite some lower back pain and my left foot swelling.

I think the highlight of the game for us was in the 5th inning.  My favorite player, Brian McCann, got up to bat and Keith rubbed my belly and said it was a "home run rub." I kid you not, the very next pitch McCann hit a home run!!! We couldn't get to our feet fast enough.  Keith was ecstatic and I was laughing as hard as I could.  We officially called it a "Home Run for Harper"!